UC Davis Canva for Enterprise Platform
The Canva for Enterprise platform at UC Davis provides access to easy-to-use branded templates across all channels that are pre-approved and customizable.
Subscription Plans for July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022
Access to the UC Davis Canva platform requires a subscription from one of two pricing tiers (billed annually).
- Individual Seats: $265 (down 17% from last year's price of $320)
- Brand Kit Cost $2,870 (down 32% from last year's price of $4,240)
To begin or renew your subscription, complete the subscription form by Friday, July 30 and a member from Strategic Communications/Marketing will contact you within 48–72 hours with your account access and further tips on getting started. Note that your subscription can take place on a rolling basis and you will be billed based on the months left in the subscription term.
To learn how to use the UC Davis Canva design enterprise platform and customize its templates, watch this webinar recorded May 2020. Additional training for creating custom-branded folders for departmental use will be available in August 2021. More design training can be found at the Canva Design School.
- What are the benefits of the UC Davis Canva for Enterprise platform versus the Canva free account?
- Benefits can be found here.
- What is the maximum capacity per seat?
- There is a maximum of one seat per license. The only exception will be for student interns. See below for details.
- Our student interns currently use a shared email. Would they be able to share a seat with this email or would we need to purchase two seats for our students?
- One seat is available for multiple student interns who work different hours/days of the week. The seat cannot be accessed by two interns at the same time.
- What is the set-up process for multiple departments accessing one seat?
- There is one seat allowed per staff member. To subscribe for department seats, complete the subscription form.
- How will you handle replacing users throughout the year for staff who leave the department but the license remains?
- Just notify Shannon Hillyard (firstname.lastname@example.org) and email@example.com from Strategic Communications. We can update seat membership to new users.
- What information do I need to create a Canva for Enterprise account?
- A UC Davis email address is required, and you must have completed the Canva for Enterprise subscription form with your department information and recharge number.
- Is the UC Davis Canva for Enterprise environment suitable for creating confidential documents?
- Yes, this tool has been approved by IET for security and risk. We will soon be adding Single Sign On (SSO) for additional security with IET. Unless you publish your work to a shared folder, it will remain visible only to the seat holder.
- Would the $320 fee include Canva pro services as well? Or would that remain an additional $120 annual fee?
- We recommend you shift to the $320 enterprise option because you will get more features including access to the campus brand kit.
- Can I merge accounts?
- There is no way to merge accounts. The interface does enable users to toggle between accounts.
- Can I transfer templates between accounts?
- Yes. From one account, you can create a link to a template, then go into your other account and paste the link, which will create a clone of that template in the destination account.
- Given the current budget environment, isn’t this a problematic expense for smaller cash-strapped units?
- A Canva subscription remains less expensive than the Adobe CC subscription. It also offers greater ease of use, more sharing options, and is well suited for relatively simple projects.
- If we don’t purchase this, will we still have access to UC Davis photos, logos and other resources in the Brand Communications Guide?
- Will documents created in Canva for Enterprise be sharable with others in the unit? Those without accounts? I'm thinking if we make a great PowerPoint template for the department, can we share it with others to use, who don't have Canva for Enterprise?
- Yes, a template can be shared via a link to anyone with just a free Canva account. Additionally, you can download the design as a PDF or PPT and share it universally.
- What if my subscription ends in August or September this year?
- The renewal for 2021-2022 will begin on the first day of the next month. So if your 2020 term ends in August, then the renewal subscription will begin on September 1, 2021.
- Will there be Brand Kits developed for those who aren't using Canva for Enterprise? For example, for those who need to use InDesign, Photoshop, etc.?
- The Brand Communications Guide provides trained designers with guidelines for producing on-brand materials for UC Davis. For non-designers or those looking for an expedient way to produce branded communications, we recommend getting a Canva account and using the available pre-approved templates. We do not offer templates for Adobe users at this time.
- Must we have our own Brand Kit in order to use our unit’s logo?
- No, you can always upload your own logos and assets into a folder and share with the right people on your unit/team. Brand Kits are useful for large units with many shared logos and a need to constrain color and font options. Units who don’t need their own Brand Kit can still upload their unit signature in a regular folder.
- Does my department need a Brand Kit?
- Larger units like CA&ES and DEVAR will need their own Brand Kit, but smaller units likely will not. Brand Kits have three main elements: colors, fonts and logos. Use the UC Davis Brand Kit when possible and avoid duplicating the kit, as it will not update when we make changes on our end. However, if colors or fonts need to be restricted for a unit’s users, you can duplicate the UC Davis Brand Kit and reduce or remove content until you are left with what you want members to use. Our goal is to limit the amount of Brand Kits created in order to reduce clutter and alternate colors or logos.
- How do I create my department’s Brand Kit?
- Only Canva administrators can create a new Brand Kit. Template designers have the capability to edit Brand Kits, but regular Members will not. If you want to create your own Brand Kit, you can contact an administrator (Lori Arcangel Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org), Shannon Hillyard (email@example.com) or Jasmin Francis-Bush (firstname.lastname@example.org) to start building your own Brand Kit.
- Will the Development Campaign Brand Kit also be added?
- Yes, we are working with DEVAR to develop a Brand Kit for the Development campaign.
- How should I upload logos (and vector assets) to my Canva account?
When working in print, all department logos and other non-photo graphic elements should be uploaded as vector files. While JPEGs and PNG files are used for electronic publication, vector files are scalable without losing resolution and produce better results in print publications.
To use your vector logos (file formats including .ai and .eps) in Canva, they must be converted to SVG files. Never use PNG, JPEG or other image versions of logos for print. You can refer to this Canva link for more help.
Do you have any tips for working with logos and vector assets?
Yes! Logos and vector assets are used in the SVG file format in Canva.
In order to create SVGs for upload: Remove unnecessary layers, stray anchor points, and invisible objects. Make sure to expand all strokes, paths, and text boxes (Select your artwork > Object > Expand). Group together shapes with the same color and avoid using textures and gradients. Scale your vector art to 200px wide. With your artwork selected, fit the artboard to your artwork (Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art). Save as an SVG file (profile of SVG 1.1 selected) with CSS Properties set to “Presentation Attributes.” SVG images must be under 3MB in size.
When using an SVG asset within Canva, the artwork can be recolored and scaled like most other Canva elements. If you’re working with an SVG asset that has grouped vector objects within it, each group can be colored separately. For example, a unit logo signature SVG asset can have both Aggie Blue and Aggie Gold applied to different parts of it.
- Do the animations created in a Canva presentation translate to PowerPoint?
- As of now, no. For animated presentations, we recommend using the URL conversion option (that is, creating a web-based presentation with a shareable link).
- We have a lot of Vet Med photos. Will we need to upload them to your campus repository or can we upload directly to Canva?
- You can upload directly to your folders in Canva.
- How does a presentation template work for the rest of your team that isn't using Canva? Example: Designer creates a presentation template for an office of engineers. How do they use the template? Does it just convert to PowerPoint?
- You can convert to PowerPoint and you can also create the presentation as a shareable website link.
- How does that work for someone who is, say, going to a conference? Do they work through Canva to edit their document, then convert to PowerPoint and download it?
- Yes, you can edit through Canva and then convert or publish as a landing page when ready to present.
- For the option to create a webpage, will the URL remain active indefinitely? Or would we use these as a form of presentation only?
- It is available indefinitely. If you delete the design or resave it in a new folder, the URL will no longer work.
- How do I upload videos?
- Check out this video starter pack that explains the process of uploading video.
- Can I control group access for my department seats?
- If you are an Administrator for your team's group, you can add Members to your group. Canva administrators Lori Arcangel Wright (email@example.com), Shannon Hillyard (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jasmin Francis-Bush (email@example.com) from Strategic Communications can help to create a group for your team. Provide the names/emails to one of these administrators and they can update group access and add or remove team members.
- How is Canva connected to the campus printer?
- Repro Graphics is the preferred campus printer. Please click here to find out more on how to print templates. You can also call them at 530-754-1010.