Understanding the Three Stages of Video Producing
This is where you think about why you’re making the video, whom the key audience is, and what you’ll need to have a successful video. Use this checklist during pre-production:
- Boil down what you want your video to say in one sentence.
- Decide who will be the voice of the video.
- Will there be a script, or will you use interviews to tell the story?
- Decide where you will shoot the video — what will make a nice shot?
- What resources will you need? Graphics? Music? Camera and lighting equipment? Sound?
- What b-roll will you need to tell your story?
- Think about a timeline for the project, start to finish.
- Who will shoot and edit your video?
- Who will review the final video?
- Where will your final video live? What kind of distribution plan do you have?
This is where all the work you’ve done in pre-production comes into place and a great video shoot happens.
This is when you bring all the elements together — interviews, b-roll, music, graphics — and cut your video and prepare it for distribution.